Monday 31 August 2009

Regrets & friendships

Have been thinking about my life and the type of person i've been for the last 30 yrs.
The saying 'life is too short to have regrets' is so true. You cant' change the past and all your life experiences (good or bad) make you the person you are today.
Having said that I do have a couple of regrets.............
Mainly the way I have delt with friendships in the past. How I've had unrealistic standards and expectations of my friends and how I may have reacted or treated them because they didn't quite meet up to them. It all sounds a bit heavy I know!! But Its something I have come to realise over the last year or so. I also used to think that a good friend ment a tight bond and a complete understanding of each other. Hence why my friendships tended to be intense but short lived!!
I look back now and think 'what a dick' a lot of those people where being a friend. Not all of them were, but hey we learn from r mistakes! (eventually)
I do have 1 friendship like that, but that is with my sister and thats why it's different.
I think my other regret is not finding out who I am and what could and would make me enjoy my life sooner. I would say that has only happened in the last 4 yrs (since my dad died) a life changing event and all that. But I am glad i found the real Jane eventually :-) This probably sounds like complete bollocks to anyone that reads this!! but hey.
I'm sure we do all have some regrets. But are there other people out there that would admit to theirs?

9 comments:

  1. I really do understand where you are coming from on this one - I used to wish for the easy friendship that others appeared to have. Believe me on this one as well:- you still have a long time to go! It's easy for me to say as I'm six years down the line. Strangely, I've had some of the best times of my life since finding out about my glioma. I also spent a good deal of time resolving the wrongs I thought I created in the past. That made a big difference to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've put in a response to your comment from the last message - still trying to figure out how this blog thing works!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Didn't answer the one before that either! I'm 39 years old, and found out about my glioma six years ago after having a grand mal out of the blue. Nearly died and was in a coma for two days. Woke up full of morphine and feeling rather marvellous! On wait and see, so no surgery yet, but tumour growing constantly. Now really big! Only problem for me is the turns, and the effect of medication (not a real problem now though). I'm a teacher of science, and my degree was in anatomy and human biology. I live out in the sticks and like it here. Nice and quiet (although bloody boring at times!). Wife Rachel, and two children: Ella (7) and Finnie (4). Suffered from amazingly bad professional bullying and disability descrimination in the past, but that's all over (thank God, that nearly killed me). Set up the glioma support site about 5 years ago. Loads more to say, but can't think of it at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to say this, but there is a trojan virus attached to your picture. Norton told me about it when I had a look. Don't know what you do about it though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No worries Jo. Had a check over all my pic's no viruses this end!!!! (weird)
    Anyway good to know a bit about you and what your 'story' is :-)
    I intend to have some of the best times of my life now too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I regret not having the courage to end my first marriage when I knew it was over, and letting it drag on for another 5 years!

    Waiting till I was in my 30's to get my butt in gear and study for the career I should have had in my 20's.

    Like you I started finding the real me when my Dad died (11 years ago now), and realised that life is actually for living not just existing.

    My 30's have been the best of my entire life & I can't wait till I hit 40 in February.

    Irene
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Someone once said 'if you can count your friendships on 1 hand then you are very fortunate'

    I have lots of acquaintances but very few that I call real friends.

    Irene
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's looking like we spend the best part of r lives getting to learn who we really are and what we want from life. We finally work it out but not till r 30's and start to enjoy life. They say life begin's at 40! now I understand why. By that time you are comfortable in your new skin and can really go for it.
    Seems like all of us have had a life changing event happen that finally turns it around for us. But what about all those people that don't have that and never find out who they truly are or learn how to enjoy their life. We are the lucky ones.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A good way of looking at things. I did well when I accepted that "people come and people go". I didn't worry so much about trying to do the best for friends when I learned that one. Also helped generate a new perspective on my own life.... Rather Buddhist in its origination, that one.

    ReplyDelete