Thursday 12 January 2012

The mask set up (day 7 of 30)



Photo's left to right. The end one is me with all my mask marks (golf ball head) as lee has so lovingly nicknamed me!!! don't know if you can really see them in this photo.

This is to show you all how they prepare the mask for treatment.
In your preparation appointments you are told that the treatment only takes a few minutes, which is true, but that's for the amount of the time the actual radiation is admitted and not the time your in the mask for.
By the time they have put it on, set it up, done all the measurements and completed the treatment from start to finish I'd say it can take up to 15 mins initially.
At the start of your treatment they take several scans over your first 4-5 sessions to make sure its all accurately placed within 1mm. They do this directly before treatment, so those sessions I would say your in the mask for about 10-15 mins.
After they are happy its good to go the sessions get quicker. But you are still in the mask for a while, it's the set up bit that takes the time.
Just thought this may help anyone going for the treatment and know what sort of thing to expect.
Gutted if your claustrophobic!! Even if your not, I still have anxious even panicky times. But I think that's coz I'm worried about having a seizure in the mask. But mostly I'm okay with it, you get used to it in a wired kinda way!!!
Don't think my words of honesty will help reassure anyone! but for me I always like to know what to expect with no fannying about!!

No comments:

Post a Comment